Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Surprises

The short tour was a kind of relief from the tension I had since I arrived in the town. However, when we started heading to the kindergarten my nerves were shaking again. I tried to overcome my strain by thinking how kind God is giving me these amazing things; I was hired based on my resume for a job that I didn’t have an experience ( a kindergarten teacher) in a place that is safe and beautiful. Everything seemed so favorable to me. “Oh wait! Is it? I never wish to be an elementary or kindergarten teacher in my whole life.” Then I already saw a picture of me screaming while the kids are running, messing around, fighting, crying and a principal dressing-down on me for being unable to handle the kids well.

“Oh God bless me.” I had no time for a long prayer; we already arrived in the kindergarten.

The principal met me at the office and then later on introduced me to the other teachers (all Japanese) and to the kids. And what I have witnessed was contrary to the chaotic scene I have pictured out in my mind. The kids were so adorable and attentively participating the class activities. The kindergarten has 3 levels: Morning Glory (ages 3-4) Koalas (4-5) and Wallaby (5-6)
“Thanks God this is another surprise.” I whispered my prayer with a smile.

1 comment:

Daryl Teo said...

Can imagine how tough teaching is in itself & being in a foreign land presents a new set of problems. Have always thought being a teacher is a higher calling. Can imagine being noisy & hyper active kids all day!